Home and/or Mobile Business
Airbrush spray tanning has been growing in popularity. With skin cancer on the rise people are choosing to be more health conscious. Spray tanning is a great way to get their glow on, rather than using traditional tanning beds.
Why start a spray tan business?
The work is fun, you can choose when you work, income is fantastic and it is rewarding to be in the beauty industry getting to meet so many new people! A spray tan can help make anyone feel more confident. Many salons now offer a mobile service due to the need and many spray tan artists start out choosing to offer mobile service only.
There are some great benefits of starting a mobile spray tan business & here are few:
- You do not have to pay any rent or lease out a space. Retail space can range from $400 per month to over $3k + in some regions. Starting your own tanning business is a VERY cost effective option (with the exception of fuel)
- You can control your own hours and service times. This is great for people that want a part time option to earn extra income.
- Many people are too busy to get to a salon so coming to your client is a convenient option for them.
- Mobile tanning is a “luxury service” and can be priced accordingly. Depending on the region some mobile appointments start at a rate of $65 +
- The need for mobile service is increasing. Due to busy work schedules many people just do not have time to get into a salon at normal business hours. This is a great option for them to get their beauty treatment from the comfort of their own home.
- Many women are holding “girls night” parties. This is very popular also even in more rural areas or smaller towns where there is not much to do. Tanning parties are a very cost effective as you’re only traveling to and from one location.
- Mobile spray tanning is easier for many groups such as bridal parties. Groups like bridal parties and wedding guests are traveling to the wedding. There may be a lack of transportation (or they may not be familiar with the area). The option of mobile spray tanning is ideal so they can book someone to come to their hotel or home to spray everyone as a group which is very cost effective for you.
How much money can you make?
Here is an average guide so you get an idea of income potential. As you can see earning potential is up to you. If you are motivated and willing to work hard you can make some killer extra money.
*Please note these charts do not include group sessions or bridal parties. Group parties are ideal because you are only travelling to one location to spray tan multiple clients.
Get a business license
Even though you may not be renting a retail space you will need a license to operate any type of business. Business licenses are very affordable and we strongly suggest any new spray tan artist get one. You can register your business at any registry office.
Business Insurance is very important. Do not forget liability insurance. It is very affordable and will provide piece of mind. Damage to peoples’ homes and hotel rooms can happen so it’s important to make sure you are covered. If you’re interested in getting business insurance we can put you in contact with the company we use. They are very familiar with spray tanning and have helped many of our team.
Track your mileage
As with any business keep track of expenses and income is important. Tracking your mileage is crucial come tax time. It is important to have everything properly documented. It’s a great idea to keep a note pad in your car or using an app on your phone to keep track of your mileage.
Your personal safety is important. Most of the clients you’ll be working with will be friends or referrals but it’s strongly encouraged to be aware of your surrounding at all times. For females going into a strangers’ home or hotel room can be very scary. Here are some safety tips you can take when scheduling a mobile session:
- Google the person and see if the address they give you matches up to them. A facebook search is also an idea but some people may not be on that social media platform.
- Speak to them on the phone and get a feel of them. If you get an odd feeling do not book the appointment. Remember you have the right to refuse service and always go with your gut. It rarely never fails!
- Do a reverse lookup of their phone number to see if they are who they say there are. It may not be 100% accurate (for example if a cell phone is in another persons’ name) but it works well. Apps like the iphone app Lookup+ is a great option too.
- Be prepared and know where you are going. Map out the location prior, using tools like google earth to see the house is an option so you do not get lost. If you are uncomfortable bring a friend or family member with you. Having someone with you is always a good idea.
- Provide a family member, friend, roommate or significant other the address and client information prior to your appointment. This way they have it in case of emergency.
- When you get to your appointment, go to the door to introduce yourself but leave your gear in the car! This is something that is a good idea unless you know the client already. It provides a logical reason for you to have to go back to your vehicle. If you get a bad vibe from the client and feel that something is not right you can get back in your car and leave! Hotels are an exception (Valet parking) so judge accordingly. If you are very nervous about spray tanning someone in a hotel room bring someone with you or do not book the session.
Hopefully you will never be in a situation where your safety is at risk. But knowledge is power.
There are a lot of machine options on the market today. The one we provide with our kits is a workhorse and is the one we use and trust.
Having a back up machine is a good idea. The last thing you want is to have an equipment malfunction when out on an appointment, (Especially if it is a large bridal party) Not only will you look unprofessional but can lose revenue if you can not finish the session. It’s always a good idea to have a backup machine in the car and carry a backup spray gun.
Supplies you will need
Here is a basic list of what you will need to have for your mobile spray tan business:
- Business License
- Business cards
- Gloves (latex)
- Spray tan machine
- Spray tan tent
- Gear to transport your mobile equipment in
- Extraction fan with filters
- Backup gun (recommended in case of malfunction during a spray)
- Shower caps or hair nets
- Baby Wipes
- Paper towels
- Sticky feet
- Prep spray ( for clients with fair skin)
- Tanning Solution
- Barrier cream
- Towels or an old sheet (for the bottom of the tent) or use disposable dog pee pads
Here’s some extra items or tools that may be useful:
- Business Facebook Page
- Business Instagram account
- Loyalty cards
- Website ( or social media for promotions)
- Nose plugs
- Face masks
- Disposables (g strings)
- Index cards (For client cards or use an app)
- Retail Aftercare (Lotion, tan extender, body wash)
Also not taken into account is the extra income you will make on selling retail aftercare to your client!